Building a split-level home is a clever solution for building on a sloping block. Split-level homes can also have an intriguing design with zoned living areas that suit today’s modern living standards.
If you’re considering a split-level home in Geelong, it’s essential to work with an experienced and innovative builder who understands the challenges and has the solutions to build a home that will stand the test of time.
Tips When Building a Split-Level Home
Building a split-level home can greatly maximise space and get the most out of your block. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when planning and constructing this type of home.
- The connection of your home to the outdoor areas is a detail that can be overlooked. Take care in planning where your entertainment areas will be situated and remember to consider access to your home to make sure vehicles and pedestrians can easily enter and exit. Everyone wants to live in a practical, well designed home so these details are important considerations.
- Drainage from your site is another important area you need to plan for. Water control around your property is essential, the correctly designed and maintained stormwater plan can be the key to a long and defect free home. If your home is positioned down a hill you need to consider where pools of water may collect and build retaining walls to prevent any potential erosion of your site.
- When building a split-level home you need to allow additional costs for preparing your site as it’s likely to need cutting and filling. If you’re able to design your home to work with the slope, you may be able to limit the amount of excavation and retaining walls required. Working with the lay of the land will help in controlling costs and will give the best end result.
Benefits of Building a Split-Level Home
- Creates a home with different zones that allows for more privacy between the different levels.
- A split-level home works with the lay of the land and may reduce the site costs required to cut into a sloping block which may also reduce the need for large retaining walls.
- Maximises the views – a split-level home can be designed to get the most of the surrounding scenery so you can wake up every morning with a stunning view!
With over 39 years of experience, Hamlan are experts in creating homes for sloping blocks in Geelong. We will help bring your vision to life and create the perfect home design for your family.